//Google Analytics

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Virginia Renaissance Faire-Spotsylvania, Virginia


This past Memorial Day weekend we were able to be back in Richmond with our families. Among the rest of the fantastic weekend (the most perfect weather weekend ever!), we also went to the Virginia Renaissance Faire at Lake Anna Winery in Spotsylvania, Virginia! 


It was a new experience for us but it was a lot of fun! Plus free tickets don't hurt! My sister- and brother-in-law were both volunteer performers so we scored free tickets through them!


Clear blue sky! The weather was absolutely amazing and the cicadas were loud!


My lovely sister-in-law playing her part well as Margaret Emmerson. I don't know how they're all so good at staying in character! My favorite was when they called an iPhone a "pixie box."


Brian and I waiting anxiously for the mini circus show to start! 


Circus Stella was phenomenal! Dextre (pictured above) and Jana (pictured below) are a beautiful young couple who perform together. They also have 5 rescue dogs, 3 of which have a part in the show! 


It's hard to see but that's Jana up on a static trapeze. I know I wouldn't be brave enough to be up on one of those!


She is incredibly flexible and has balance like a cat!


Dextre stood on a ladder with no support! Then he had this kid climb up the ladder, again with no support, and give him his hat!


Shouldn't this be the other way around? Haha. 


Clearly the circus was my favorite part of the faire. I took way too many pictures! She also did an aerial silks routine which was amazing. 


Balancing on a chair on a tight rope!


Did I mention dogs?! Here's their newest rescue puppy named Mabel. 


Stella, the circus' namesake!


Stella jumping over Louise.


Adrian walking on poles. 


Parrot dog! She looked comfy up there!


 Dancing at the May Pole.


The minstrels playing music for the dancers. 


Shh...don't tell my husband I have evidence of him participating! He's such a good sport!


There were even alpacas!


And a falcon! Apparently there are only about 2,000 falconers left in the United States and there's a very strict hierarchy that you have to make your way up.


Jousting!! We walked over in time to see this final joust but that's all we got to see. The winner was a woman! 


The Lady's Court of Love. This was a fun interactive bit where anyone could come up and bring up a love matter than needed help solving. It could be anything from, "My friends said they would come here today at 2pm but they were late!" or "My husband won't admit I'm right!" And then the ladies of the court will banter and make a decision. It was pretty entertaining!


And here's a crummy shot of one of the vineyards. 

The faire is going on from now unti June 9th on Saturdays and Sundays. It's $9 to get in but children 5 and under are free. It's a great place to visit for fun but also is a great learning experience for kids (and adults too!). Definitely more fun than reading a textbook!

Lake Anna Winery is also a great place to visit! They're open Wednesday-Saturday 11:00am-5:00pm and Sunday 1:00pm-5:00pm. Ask for a tour and bring a group with you! 

How'd you spend your Memorial Day weekend? Have you been to a renaissance faire before? 

Till next time,
Catherine

2 comments:

  1. Wow, great blog, and I can't thank you enough for including us!! I'm so glad you had a good day at the festival and that you enjoyed our show! -Jana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was a great show and I really love how you incorporate your sweet rescue dogs! It's such a good message to your audience. Hope to see you guys there next year!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I try to reply to all of the comments so be sure to check back if you asked a question. You can also leave your e-mail address in the comment and I'll let you know when I have replied!