//Google Analytics

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Cook: Seasoned and Roasted Chickpeas


If you're searching for a healthy snack, look no further! 

Simply roasting chickpeas (garbanzo beans) with some olive oil and seasoning salt makes such a delicious snack! I had heard of this before but honestly was a little skeptical. But now, I wish I had made these ages ago!

For my book club meeting last weekend I wanted to make a little snack that everyone could enjoy. One lady is vegan, another eats gluten-free and everyone is pretty health conscious. I found the original recipe from Oh She Glows, a wonderful vegan lifestyle blog.  I took the basic concept but used different seasoning, while still keeping it basic. 

Overall this recipe is delicious and easy to make, but, it does take time. It's totally worth it, though.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cans of garbanzo beans/chickpeas
  • Seasoning salt
  • Olive oil

Directions:


Preheat your oven to 425. Boil the chickpeas for a few minutes then remove from the heat and let cool for about 30 minutes or until you can safely handle them.


Strain the chickpeas. You can run cool water over them if you're short on time. 


Get your seasonings out! You could do anything with this recipe! I using Seasoning Salt and olive oil but you could do just salt and pepper, Italian spices, cinnamon sugar...whatever your belly desires!


Lay some aluminum foil or parchment paper on your baking sheet and drizzle olive oil and sprinkle your seasonings. 


 Pour the chickpeas on top.


Then sprinkle and drizzle some more! Roll them around with your hands to make sure they get evenly coated with olive oil and your seasonings. 


Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, rolling them halfway through to ensure even baking.


Let cool and enjoy!


So delicious! 

If you've never had chickpeas, this is a great way to try them. I like them cold on my salad but this is the first time having them hot and it was so good! They were a hit at my book club meeting! I thought they would be a little messy because of the olive oil but they're not at all so it's no biggie to eat them by hand like popcorn! 

You can bet I'll be making more of them soon!

What seasoning(s) would you use? Do you prefer to call them chickpeas or garbanzo beans? I've always wondered, are they peas or beans? 

Till next time,
Catherine

8 comments:

  1. I wonder if Mrs Dash would taste just as good? Make it low salt to be even healthier. I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it would! I think next time I want to try something sweet like cinnamon sugar!

      Delete
  2. How fun! Thanks Catherine for sharing this and your lovely photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! Thank YOU for reading! :)

      Delete
  3. I've never had these, but they sound delicious! :)

    Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great, trying to get my boys to eat healthy is hard some times but this might do the trick...LOL Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I try to reply to all of the comments so be sure to check back if you asked a question. You can also leave your e-mail address in the comment and I'll let you know when I have replied!