//Google Analytics

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Cook: Make Your Own Cream of "Something" Soup!

I don't know about you guys, but I feel like I never have cream of chicken soup when I need it. Or cream of whatever else I might be wanting to use. When I saw this post from Pinterest, I knew it was something I wanted to try. Even if it didn't work, it was worth a try to save money and grocery store trips! 

Oh and did I mention it's way healthier? I love making alternatives to store bought items because I actually know what's in the food I'm eating and feeding to my husband. Store bought cream of "something" soups are always high in sodium and full of other junk we don't need. 

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup non-fat dried milk 
  • 3/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup bouillon (beef, veggie, chicken, whichever you prefer. I used chicken)
  • 4 Tablespoons freeze dried minced onions
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon parsley
  • 1 teaspoon chives
When you're ready to use it, mix 1/3 cup of your dry mix with 1 1/4 cup of water. This is the equivalent of one can of condensed soup. Cook it until it thickens up. 

Directions:


If you have cubed bouillon you'll need to crush it. I love using my mortar and pestle! It's so fun. I used a total of 10 cubes and that was about 1/4 cup.


Crush it well.


Pour all your ingredients into a medium bowl. 


Stir it all up till everything is well mixed. 


Now fill up a jar and you're good to go! I'm going to make a label for it with the recipe for making the actual soup as well as the ingredients for one batch so I always have it handy. As you can see, one batch made over half of a mason jar full. I haven't cooked with it yet but as soon as I do I'll give you an update on how it was! 

Also, I added the parsley and chives just because but they weren't included in the original recipe. 

Can't wait to try it out! Too bad this post just gave me a mini To-Do list! 

1. Make a label for the jar
2. Actually try out the mix

I'll get right on it...

UPDATE 8/13/13: I painted the jar with chalkboard paint to create a label and I use this mix all the time! It's delicious! 

Have you ever made your own version of a cream of "something" soup? Do you prefer to stick with the cans at the store instead?

Till next time,
Catherine



I've linked up to the In and Out of the Kitchen Party #36 with Feeding Big!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I try to reply to all of the comments so be sure to check back if you asked a question. You can also leave your e-mail address in the comment and I'll let you know when I have replied!